Alf Esteban is the founder and Managing Principal of StratEdge Consulting.
He has been providing strategy development, governance, risk and compliance management advisory services to organisations for over 15 years. His career has primarily been with leading business information, IT and consulting firms providing strategy, governance, risk and compliance products and services globally.
Alf has held various roles in multinational corporations including being General Manager of the Asia Pacific Compliance Division at SAI Global, General Manager of Brown Consulting NSW, General Manager of the consulting arm of the Australian Financial Markets Association, General Manager Global Services Asia Pacific for a global software and services firm and various roles in Australia, Asia and Europe over 21 years at IBM Corporation.
His consulting engagements have included:
- Development and implementation of risk and compliance management plans for a number of global and regional mining and exploration companies
- Undertaking risk and compliance plan assessments and facilitating risk identification and assessment workshops for one of Australia’s largest listed property development companies
- Development of compliance plans for a number of financial services organizations
- Facilitating the development of corporate strategy and execution plans for a number of Australian subsidiaries of multinational organizations
- Providing risk and compliance education to Boards and executive management of financial services, manufacturing and energy companies in Australia and Indonesia
- Establishing an operational risk management standard for financial markets participants in South Africa
Alf has a Bachelor of Science degree, with majors in pure mathematics and theoretical physics; a MBA in general management; and a Graduate Diploma in Commercial Bank Management with an emphasis on the Capital Markets. He has written a thesis on risk management and the events leading to, and the subsequent result of the collapse of Barings Bank. Alf has also had articles on governance, risk and compliance management published in the CSA Journal, ACI Journal, and Risk Management Magazine. He has presented at numerous risk and compliance management conferences in the UK, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.
Alf is a Member of the Global Association of Risk Professionals, a Certified Compliance Professional with the ACI, Fellow of the Finance and Securities Insitute of Australasia, a Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and an Associate Member of the Chartered Secretaries of Australia. He sits on the boards of organisations in both the for- and not-for-profit sectors, including being the current Vice President of the ACI.